Thursday, April 12, 2007

Constructive Sounds

I officially no longer need an alarm clock! Why? You may ask... because outside my bedroom, approximately fifteen feet away from where I sleep, is a three month, ongoing, construction project. The project is yet to be complete. From the construction site , several different sounds are projected. The most notable sounds are the machine oriented buzz saw, and the echoing blast of metallic hammering. Such sounds produce a penetrating presence in my psyche. It is strange how the process of dreaming can naturally incorporate these new external sounds into the storyline or events taking place. I can only begin to explain the effects of such constant intrusion of sound privacy.
My dreams have often, and particularly lately, presented fairly obvious and forward notions about my subconscious fears. The characters are usually labeled accurately, perhaps with different facial features or size. Places are distinct, again in name and relevance, but commonly appear in different shapes or colours. The content, however, remains fairly accurate with little ambiguity. For example, if I have anxiety about a certain exam, presentation or essay, my dreams will often portray a failed attempt to complete the task. Often in two ways: 1) a lack of effort or missed critical content, or 2) the most often is a missed deadline. The thought that the assignment was due yesterday is frightening concept for any academic. With dreams like this, I'm happy the buzz saw revved its gears at 8am. The crude awakening by such a horrible sound eventually leads to the realization that it was all a dream, and I still have one more "all-nighter" before I hand in the assignment.
The sounds find a way to plug into my dreams. One time I was discussing academics with my father (in a dream) and he uncharacteristically picked up a chainsaw and cut the table in half. Another time I was dealing with a deep reflective moment about my moral behaviour and I decided the best way to deal with it was to grab a hammer and bang on a metal plate in a non-rhythmic fashion.
This led to my analysis of the noises found at this construction site. If only tradesman had a better sense of rhythm! The subtle implication behind the phenomena of rhythmically placed sound is that the body and mind can find a way to deal with the new sound and appropriately manage them if they are constant and rhythmic. It is the non-rhythmic nature of these noises that wakes me up. I never wake up at the first sound of them, instead my dream simply begins to incorporate it in. Once the sound breaks, and starts up again with no fluidity, my brain begins to question the relevancy of the sound to the images presented. Thus my conscious mind takes over and I wake up. Fascinating stuff! If I wasn't forced into such an analysis I may have never pursued it to such an extent.
My first thoughts after waking up are usually along the lines of wanting to yell out my window about the injustice of the criminal nature of these sounds (criminal in my head after being abruptly woken up). Which than leads to a slightly more rational thought of who can I call and complain to so that my cause is heard by someone? Now, after careful contemplation, perhaps the best thing I could do would be to walk over to the construction site, in my robe, and give them a metronome.

No comments: